Welcome! This blog is part of the annual "International Fake Journal Month" contest which runs during April each year. For April 2011 I took on the identity of a fictional character, Miss Lili Ann Percy, in my daily journaling and posted pages from her journal in this blog. Lili is a 36 year old Manhattanite and professional furniture designer who chucked it all to move to a small island off the coast of Florida. To enlarge pictures simply click on them. Please enjoy Lili's ponderings.......

Sunday, April 24, 2011

JOURNAL ENTRIES #21 & #22

Journal Entry #22

SHELLING--VERB:  TO GATHER SEASHELLS WHICH ARE THE HARD PROTECTIVE CASE OF A MOLLUSK OR CRUSTEACEAN


I decided to take a long walk on the beach late this afternoon.  It was a rare overcast day and not many people were there.  A breeze was blowing and the gulls were floating, playing really, in the wind currents while making their cries.  Sometimes solitude can be so lovely.


My solitude didn't last all that long, however.  As I was looking for shells, head bent and me engrossed in the wet sand in front of me, I almost bumped into a fisherman carrying his day's catch in a big metal basket.  I just about melted at the first glance of him.  Tall, tanned skin and blonde hair that looked like long pieces of bleached straw--in a good way.  :-)  And, WOW, what a smile he had!


He asked if I was new on the Island.  That's how small Bokeelia Island is.  So, we got to talking.  He was born here, which is a rarity, and said his family settled here back in the early 40's when there was only about five buildings on the Island.  He said the buildings then were really more like glorified tents.  I can only imagine how it must have been for his family to witness the growth over the years, not that it's not still one of the most untouched and pristine places left in Florida today.


Anyway, he was a very interesting, and good looking, guy.  And...he asked if I'd like to have a cup of coffee with him one day soon.  Would I?  YES!!!  We exchanged numbers (note: not that I have to call him) and he says he'll call in a couple of days.  We'll see, I can hope!


Oh yeah, I found some neat shells on the beach, too.  


Easter Beach Shells


-----------------------------------------------------------------------------





Journal Entry #21

EASTER--NOUN:  THE MOST IMPORTANT AND OLDEST FESTIVAL OF THE CHRISTIAN CHURCH, CELEBRATING THE RESURRECTION OF JESUS CHRIST AND HELD (IN THE WESTERN CHURCH) BETWEEN MARCH 21 AND APRIL 25, ON THE FIRST SUNDAY AFTER THE FIRST FULL MOON FOLLOWING THE NORTHERN SPRING EQUINOX  

----------

Happy Easter!!!  It isn't my first Easter in Florida because sometimes we visited our grandparents this time of the year when I was a child.  Today, though, I woke up as a Bokeelia Island adult to a glorious morning and attended the cutest little church with Lynne and Maureen.  We walked back to my house afterward and had brunch on the deck while the seagulls played over the water and Luther purred in my lap.  Silly cat likes scrambled eggs.  

This egg decoration, the only one I brought with me from the North, was made by my grandmother so many years ago.  It's all I need at the moment to remind me of all the Easters I've celebrated over the years.  Good stuff.


Grandmother's Gift

No comments:

Post a Comment